3 Reasons Why Quitting Cigarettes Cold Turkey Sucks
So you are ready to quit – for good this time! You thought smoking was “cool” when you started… Now it’s just expensive. It is common knowledge that continuous smoking may cause cancer, emphysema, and heart disease. However, despite this, there are still many who wants to smoke. So it is easy to try and go cold turkey when giving up cigarettes – the trouble is it is easy to fail going cold turkey as well. This is generally caused by your addiction with nicotine. Once you start to smoke, you become accustomed to the taste, the habit, the sensation and the taste of smoking – and that is often what you miss when you go cold turkey.
- You can’t get your mind off of it and it rules your life – You decide to quit smoking and now it is all you can think about. It rules your life and the nicotine withdrawal is really missing with your healthy
- You friends head out for a smoke break and you miss out on social time – When you are out at a bar, or even at work it seems like the best chats happen while having a cigarette. But if you sit outside it is to hard to resist having a cigarette. This is where a nicorette inhalator can be helpful to sooth nicotine cravings and give you something to do with your hands and mouth while your friends smoke. Shop this story
- Nicotine Withdawl makes you feel ill – The trouble with quitting smoking is that it is not just breaking the habit. Nicotine is an addictive substance and when you are in nicotine withdrawl it can make you feel pretty gross. This is why it can be a good idea to ween yourself down and eventually off nicotine. That way it happens gradually and you are much more likely to stay off the smokes.
So what are your options if you decide to ween yourself off nicotine rather than quitting cold turkey?
There are various ways to quit smoking. The most common is going cold turkey. It is a sudden withdrawal from smoking, rather than cutting it down gradually. Many thinks that doing so promotes better chances of success, but the truth is, there are always opportunities for re-lapse, thus making one resume his or her regular smoking routine.
However, there are various side effects to quitting smoking cold turkey
- A person can get mildly depressed or sad since smoking can
be an outlet to let out steam; worries and apprehensions.
- A person can get anxious brought about by the necessity to
put something in the mouth, the routine “hand and mouth” gestures, or
the sensation when taking nicotine.
- A person may feel bored and lonely when you start to
dissociate yourself from peers who smoke, thus resulting to a feeling
of emptiness when you’re not included in their conversations.
- A person may feel angry or short-tempered since the habit
will greatly affect the changes in his or her behavior.
One method to cope with quitting smoking is through a process called Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT). It is described as giving your body controlled amounts of nicotine without the disadvantages of tobacco. It uses nicotine gum, patches, lozenges, and sprays to wean your body off nicotine while helping you cope with withdrawal symptoms gradually. Most NRTs are easy to use, such as gum, since it can easily be chewed anywhere, when the craving starts to set in. It is also cost-efficient since it lessens your expenses on cigarettes until you give up the habit all together.